Get Yo Priorities Straight

I decided to move to Korea because I wanted to live abroad for a while and I especially wanted to travel the world. I decided to teach English abroad because the job would pay me enough to do both.

I came to Korea three weeks ago with these priorities:

Priority #1: Gain cultural experience living in a new place
Priority #2: Travel the world
Priority #3: Live, Learn, Explore, Have Fun
Priority #4: Be stellar at my job (however, this was never a true priority, this was an assumption. I thought this would come automatically)

Do you notice anything wrong with my priorities?

Essentially, I came here for personal gain. Little did I know that my job here would be the hardest job I've ever had and should be my first priority. Or should it?

Today has truly been one of those days. My kindergarten students found out how to manipulate me...I tried several things to gain back control of the class but each time I failed. I stood in front of children two times smaller than me with no other ideas and students laughing their asses off. I have never felt so angry/upset/disrespected/unprepared in my life. A part of me was in shock that I was unable to handle a class of 10 six year olds. And a part of me was about to start balling if I didn't get it together soon.

Luckily the homeroom teacher came in, after hearing the ruckus, and immediately the class shuts up, sits up in their chair and composed themselves.

I guess I came here with my priorities in the wrong order...

Next step: figure out how to control kindergarten students.

To rid myself of my current state of depression, I'm going to sleep and actually wake up at 8 am to exercise.

3 comments:

Me said...

classroom management is really hard!! i didn't have control of my class for a whole year! i have it for the most part this year, but it is still exhausting and i definitely still have moments when I just want to scream. keep at it! stay strong. it doesn't come overnight, but it gets easier!

p said...

Above is true EVERYWHERE in the world! First is to recognize, then to develop a plan! Good luck--it ain't easy!

Anonymous said...

Unless you were dropping jump shots on those kids, maybe you mean bawling? Just kidding miss Metka. See, our drawing class wasn't that bad.

Post a Comment